Saturday, April 15, 2017

Write, Share, Get Involved


I attended my first Village Writers' Club meeting out of curiosity. I had no illusions of ever being considered a writer. I didn't think I was of that caliber--write, that is.

I immediately made friends and was never treated as the novice I was. Instead, I was welcomed and encouraged in my writing. I learned manuscript format, which is a handy little thing to know if you plan to submit anything to anyone. I learned where my weaknesses were and how to improve in a critique group. I gained confidence by participating in area contests. I shared what I wrote at L'Audible Art.

Writer:  Someone who writes something

In short, as with anything else in life, you get out what you are willing to invest. I never would have written any of the things I have written in the last nine years without the encouragement of many Village Writers' Club friends. I never would have shared my writing with anyone else if it weren't for the critique groups and L'Audible Art.
  • If you are willing to invest time working on what you write in order to improve, you get better.
  • If you enter contests to test the waters, and see how you rank with others, you get better.
  • And here is the oddest thing, something I never expected. If you get involved in a club by participating in events, holding an office, and meeting other writers, you get better at writing. It's odd how that works, but it does.
 It's that simple. Write, share, get involved.


WHAT DO YOU THINK? THINK?
  • ·       Why did you join the Village Writers’ Club, and what do you get out of it?

No comments: